Now, more than ever, people are looking for ways to stay healthy and boost their immune system on a budget. The great news is, it's really very simple! Follow these suggestions on how to boost your immune system naturally. You'll feel great and rest easy knowing you're doing all you can to keep yourself and your family healthy!
Inside each of our bodies are millions of immune cells. They are like tiny little soldiers waging war on the things that invade and make us sick. Many people think having a healthy immune system will prevent you from getting sick, and it could… but, the real purpose of your immune system is to prevent bacteria and viruses from escalating to dangerous levels in the body.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Luckily, we can all care for our bodies and feed those tiny little warriors inside us to help them function optimally. The best part? It doesn't have to cost a penny! By implementing these tips and lifestyle changes, you can be sure you are giving your immune system (and your family's) the best chance possible no matter what comes your way.
CAN YOU REALLY BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM?
Evidence suggests balance and wellness in the body can make your immune system stronger and help you fight off the invaders. Keep in mind, the immune system is not just one single part that you can give a tune-up when you feel like it. (Don't we wish!) It is an entire system with many parts that work in conjunction with many other parts of the body.
By maintaining a healthy lifestyle all around, over time, you will give your body and your immune system the BEST fighting chance… literally! While it may sound daunting, it's simple. We'll show you how!
HOW TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM NATURALLY
There are many ways to change your lifestyle to a more balanced one. Doing so will benefit your body and mind in many ways, one of which is by keeping your immune system healthy. Here are some of our favorite ways to boost health in a super simple and free way!
Regular exercise helps promote health and wellness as a whole. This, in turn, benefits and supports a healthy immune response! Yay, exercise!
There are so many great ways to get your body moving. Go for a walk with a friend or hit the gym for a more intense sweat. You can even get in a great workout right at home. Whatever you choose, get your body moving. You'll be glad you did!
Ahh, SUGAR. We love it, and we hate it all at the same time. As much as our bodies tell us we need this sweet, irresistible substance, it really is terrible for our bodies!
Sugar causes a direct and immediate decrease in your immune system cells' effectiveness. It basically puts your soldiers in a temporary coma! NOT good! This effect can last for hours after sugar consumption, depending on how much you consume.
Instead of the sugary drink or snack, drink more water and reach for some fruit. The natural sugars may help curb your sweet tooth and will have a much smaller effect on blood sugar levels, protecting those immune cells in your body.
We have a great list of healthy snacks for kids, as well as healthy snack ideas for adults, too!
GET ENOUGH SLEEP
Sleep is so essential to our bodies in SO many ways. When we sleep, our bodies produce something called cytokines. These handy little proteins promote better sleep AND aid the immune system. When we don't get enough sleep, it directly affects how well our immune system functions!
Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Establish a bedtime routine, so you are going to bed at the same time each night and waking up at the same time each morning. This will help your body find a circadian rhythm and make it a lot easier! We know it's hard, but it's soooo worth it! Just grab your coziest blanket and get more zzzzzzzzzz's!
Do you really struggle to get enough sleep? We have some great tips for getting better sleep!
EAT A BALANCED DIET
Avoiding sugar is a great first step to improving your diet, but you also need to make sure you're getting your daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and veggies are full of vitamins and minerals that will feed your body what it needs, helping it function optimally. Our body can only work with what we feed it, so let's feed it WELL!
Try these delicious mason jar salad recipes for a tasty way to get in TONS of immune-boosting nutrients!
PARTAKE IN PRAYER AND MEDITATION
It's a well-known fact that stress can harm our health. It causes an unhealthy rise in cortisol levels, wreaking havoc in our bodies!
Set aside time each day to be still and mindful in prayer and meditation. Both have been shown to lower stress and blood pressure, promoting a sense of calm and wellness! Put away your phone, take the burdens of your heart, and share them with God through prayer. You'll reap the mental AND physical benefits of a healthier self overall.
HOW TO HELP YOUR FAMILY STAY HEALTHY
Healthy immune systems aren't just for adults; kids can benefit greatly from these tips, too! Here are a few easy ways to help them stay strong and healthy while boosting their immune systems.
- Snack Swap – There is so much sugar hidden in seemingly “healthy” drinks and snacks for kids. Skip the prepackaged snacks and fruit juice and serve up a healthier alternative instead. Celery with peanut butter and some fruit infused water make a tasty snack. It's cheaper AND healthier. Win-win!
- Create a Bedtime Routine – This is so important when it comes to helping your kids get a good night's rest. (Check out these great evening and bedtime routine tips!)
- Limit Screen Time – It's not that screens are bad; it's just that too much screen time means not enough active time. Get them up and moving, exploring, and having fun. We love the clipboard system as a way of making the most of our busy days. Bonus points if they play outside and soak in those rays, getting that natural Vitamin D!
- Enjoy Smoothies – This one sounds pretty easy to implement, huh? Who doesn't like deliciously sweet fruit smoothies? Check out how we make our smoothies tasty AND healthy! We even like to sneak in Vitamin C packs for an extra immune boost. Have them for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- Help Them Lower Stress – Stress doesn't just affect adults; it can be a major burden for kids, too. Help them establish a routine to provide a sense of stability. We ALL need that in our lives!
These tips are so simple and can be beneficial to the entire family!
CONSIDER SUPPLEMENTS TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
While the immune system is somewhat mysterious, it is widely accepted that a few key nutrients can serve as an immune system booster. Try adding one of these to your daily regimen:
- Vitamin D – A fat-soluble vitamin, essential for a healthy immune system. Some even think Vitamin D is specifically useful in the body for fighting off respiratory infections.
- Zinc – Useful for immune cell communication and regulating the inflammatory response. Zinc deficiency is not uncommon, especially in the older population, and can limit the immune system's effectiveness.
- Vitamin C – The most well-known immune support vitamin, Vitamin C supports many functions in the immune system and also acts as an antioxidant, protecting against free radicals.
Get these nutrients in the form of a vitamin supplement OR simply include more vitamin-rich foods in your diet. It does NOT have to cost anything extra to give your body all it needs!
There are many other natural and holistic “immune-boosting” herbs and supplements on the market. Just remember, don't take any new supplements without checking with your doctor first!
TALK TO YOUR TRUSTED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Just a note: Before you start any new health regimen, don't forget to speak to your trusted medical health care professional. Your doctor, physician's assistant, or other health care practitioner will know your complete medical history and what you should (and shouldn't) do for complete health.
Don't undermine that tiny little army inside your body by depriving it of essential nutrients and support it needs! Give your immune system and your family's immune system the BEST chance to stay well by supporting it with a healthy lifestyle. Now that you have learned how to boost your immune system, it's time to get started. We can do this!
What are you doing to support a healthy immune system? Tell us in the comments below!
Looking for other helpful posts?
- Plan the perfect staycation and relax and unwind without the hassle of travel!
- Check out this FREE printable Fitness and Nutrition Log to help you stay on track with your wellness!
- Discover cheap ways to celebrate success and keep you motivated!