I'm sure there are technical, uber-healthy recipes out there (you can get many recipes on Blendtec's website). BUT…knowing me, I dumb things down a bit. Here's how I make a standard Page Family Smoothie:
- Usually apple or orange juice, about 2C…ish? Sorry, I never measure. Just do it to taste 🙂
- 3 or 4 fistfuls of the pre-washed, bagged stuff from Costco (so cheap!). I know that seems like a lot, but with the Blendtec you canNOT taste it at ALL! (Remember soggy chunks with the cheap-o blender though? I don't recommend it…)
- Usually frozen fruit that I froze because it started getting too soft, or OR store-bought bags that I price-matched for cheap.
- I will also add any other fresh fruit that I need to get rid of.
- I always try to add at least 2 bananas. I didn't have any in the smoothie pictured above and the texture and taste is always off without them!
- Tip: Bananas going too brown for your taste? Peel them, toss them in a ziploc, and throw them in the freezer. You can blend them up to make soft-serve ice cream (try it! Just frozen bananas, and blender! Delicious!), or gives your smoothie the perfect frozen touch.
- Whaaaaaat?! No, really. I promise.
- We've tossed in carrots and avocados, both delicious. Maybe squash would be good too? You really can't taste it and it just adds tons of nutrients and even elements of flavor. Just start with small amounts.
- When I price-match yogurt for a good deal, I will leave 1/2 in my fridge to eat, and put 1/2 in the freezer. I will nuke a frozen yogurt for 20 seconds in the microwave, then dump it in the smoothie. It chills it, adds the sugar the I feel a smoothie needs to taste great, and adds more fruity flavor.
- Healthy-Shmealthy Stuff
- I always add a cupful of ice to make sure it's nice and cold and slushy. Mmm…slushy.
- Saving up using our 3-month rule.
- We asked for cash for Christmas, which we put toward it.
- We waited for it to go on sale at Costco, so we got it for around $300 rather than the retail price of $500ish I believe.
- We sold things. Believe it or not, we went through our house and found old things we didn't need any more (an old TV, a toaster oven, etc.) and sold them on the classifieds.
Happy blending 🙂
My team contacted them and ASKED them to sponsor this post because I love them so much! So yes, the opinions are 110% mine.