Diamond rings, roses, fancy things… who needs ‘em!? Try these FREE Valentine’s Day ideas with your spouse instead. Save money while totally spoiling your honey. We promise it’ll be one for the books!
Go ahead and forget everything you know about a typical Valentine's Day. We are about to rock your world and show you how to have the best FREE Valentine's Day ever! Yes, you heard that right!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Everyone knows that Valentine's Day can be expensive. Fancy dinner + babysitter + Roses + Gifts + Decor + Valentine's for Kids… the list goes on and on. But guess what!? Valentine's Day doesn't have to be expensive to be special. In fact, it doesn't have to cost you much at all.
No more fancy dinner reservations or little velvet boxes needed—sorry ladies!! But trust us, it will be so worth it in the end when you reach those financial goals. We'll show you how to pull off an incredible free Valentine's Day that your sweetheart and your wallet will thank you for! All it takes is a little creativity and some planning!
Now, grab your honey and let's get started!
FREE VALENTINE'S DAY IDEAS AT HOME
You don't have to go out to have a great night with your spouse. Here are a few ways for you to celebrate Valentine's Day with each other in a meaningful way and help you connect physically and emotionally right in your own home!
- Make breakfast together – Forget your diet and splurge on this crunchy French toast sticks recipe! Take this early morning date straight back to the bed (literally) and have your breakfast B&B style. You decide what comes next. 😉
- Host a blindfolded taste test – Make a tray of secret goodies for your sweetheart but don't let them see! Cover their eyes with a blindfold, feed them small bites of each food and see if they can guess what it is. Keep it sweet—it is Valentine's Day after all!
- Make your own chocolate candy – Forget those overpriced (but sooo delicious) heart-shaped boxes of chocolate turtles and make your own version for cheap. Get messy with it and have fun! Is it really a date in the kitchen if someone doesn't end up with chocolate on their nose??
- Make a bonfire – What could be more romantic than a night by the fire under the stars? Warm up with some homemade hot chocolate. YES, please!!
- Watch a movie under the stars – Grab a blanket and your laptop or iPad and you've got all you need for a perfect movie night! Either pop in your favorite DVD or find something new on Netflix. Pop some delicious stove-popped popcorn for a special movie snack!
You see, staying in can be fun, too!! Make the most of what you have and focus on each other and we know your Valentine's Day will be special.
VALENTINE'S DATE NIGHT OUT
Maybe you desperately want to get out! Swap babysitting with another couple! One of you take Friday and the other can take Saturday night. Whew – you just cut the cost of going out by half! Paying a babysitter can get pricey, trading is a great way to make it happen on the cheap.
FREE VALENTINE'S DAY IDEAS FOR A DAY DATE
So, staying in for a date isn't your jam? Check out these ideas for an awesome day-date out on the town. Fun and FREE—these date are sure to please!
- Have a sports date -Are you and your spouse on the competitive side? Grab your tennis rackets, basketball, baseball and gloves, and head to the local park. Start with tennis, then rotate so you can play all the sports together! This keeps it interesting and also keeps you from taking it all too seriously. Keep that competitive drive tucked away—it's a Valentine's Day date after all!!
- Play tourist in your own town – Act like you've never been there before and see the sights. You may be surprised to find something you've never seen before!
- Attend a local hardware store workshop – This may sound like a strange idea for a day-date to you, but learning a new skill together can be fun! Check your local hardware stores for upcoming workshops on or around Valentine's Day!
- Go for a romantic hike – Choose the most beautiful place nearby and take a hike together. Bonus romance points if you can find a waterfall or a mountain!
- Go Geocaching together – What is Geocaching you ask?? It's basically a giant treasure hunt using GPS enabled devices. Download the app and start hunting for free! Style points awarded for dressing the part of a treasure hunter—okay, not really, but it would be fun!!
We are kicking the “rules” for a Valentine's Day date to the curb—so make it your own and have a blast!
FREE VALENTINE'S DAY IDEAS FOR A NIGHT ON THE TOWN
Maybe you'd like a more traditional approach to Valentine's Day but just don't have the money to spend. Need a little help planning a romantic evening out with your lover that doesn't cost a penny? We've got some great ideas for you!
- Have a picnic – This one is always a winner! Pack a picnic dinner and drive out to a park or public beach. Have a romantic picnic dinner while you watch the sunset. Make sure you pack plenty of blankets to snuggle up!
- Attend a trivia night – Find a local eatery in your area that hosts trivia nights—lots do! These events are almost always free; just buy a drink or two! Maybe you'll even find a Valentine's Day themed night!
- Find a free movie screening – Lots of parks and recreational centers offer fun events like free movie screenings. Check your town's facebook events for a Valentine's Day movie in your area!
- Find a free concert – Local bars and restaurants often have free live music on the weekends or holidays. Eat dinner beforehand and just order your favorite beverage and dessert when you go. This way you don't have to order your entire meal out, but you feel free to stay and listen to the music! Not completely free—but pretty darn cheap!
- Take a stroll down a city street – Depending on where you live, downtown streets on Valentine's Day evening can be pretty romantic. Lights, music, people—the perfect atmosphere for a walk (hand in hand, of course!!) around the square! This one is simple, so keep it that way. It's not about the destination, just enjoy the walk!
Remember, Valentine's Day ISN'T about the money you spend. Focus on each other and your relationship and anything you do together can be romantic!
FREE GIFT IDEAS
Dates aren't the only thing that can be free this Valentine's Day! Valentine's Day gifts get SOOOO overdone! You do NOT have to spend a lot to show someone that you care.
I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND A LOT TO SHOW SOMEONE THAT YOU CARE.
Make a pact with your significant other that you won't buy each other gifts, but will make something. It will be so sweet to see what the other one comes up with! Check out these sweet and meaningful gifts you can make for your special someone without breaking the bank.
- 52 Reasons why I love you – All you need for this one is a deck of cards, glue stick, paper, hole punch and a piece of ribbon. Easy and so cute! Glue a reason why you love your sweetie to each card and tie them together like a book. We know he'll love it!
- “Ten Things I Love About You!” printable – Totally FREE and totally meaningful! This printable is a great way to show your main squeeze all the things you love about them.
- Create a “Years In Love” slideshow – You probably have tons of digital photos of you and your sweetie floating around in the cloud somewhere. Pick your favorites and throw together a slideshow with some of your favorite music!
- Give the gift of time – Nothing is more valuable than a person's time. Make it a point this Valentine's Day to put away ALL other distractions and just focus on your significant other! This includes electronic devices, work stresses and even kids! Send them to a relative for the evening for free babysitting while you invest in each other.
- Buy a plant – Flowers are kind of a big waste of money, the thought is cute, but they are expensive and they die. Rather than sending flowers, buy a plant. It will be enjoyed for much, much, much longer.
- Balloon gift – Write something you love about the person on a slip of paper inside each balloon and fill their room, office, car, kitchen, WHATEVER with them. Yes, the cheap-o balloons from Walmart or wherever work great. No helium needed.
- Free Massage Certificate -This one is a favorite in our house and NEVER goes unused! It doesn't have to be fancy, but put it down on paper to make it official. Designate a time for the length of the massage and an expiration date then seal it with a kiss!
Most of these gifts can be made with items you probably already have in your home making them absolutely free! Win!!
VALENTINE'S DAY DECOR
If you want to add a little decor to your home, stock up on clearance holiday items for future holidays! But as always, I suggest being creative and using what you have on hand. Reuse Christmas items like red and gold ribbon, tissue paper, candles, etc.
Feel free to DIY some Valentine's Day decor, if that's your thing! Make a heart shaped wreath or some pomander balls! Make paper Valentine's conversation hearts with things you love about your spouse written on them and string it up. It doesn't have to be fancy.
MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
And there you have it… A list of totally (almost) free ideas for you and your honey this Valentine's Day! Pick your favorite or mix and match and create an entire day of free fun. The sky is the limit so make it your own—seriously, go crazy!!
What free Valentine's Day ideas have you and your sweetie come up with? Share your favorites in the comments below!
Looking for more helpful posts?