Kick those winter blues to the curb! We’ve got some great winter bucket list ideas for you to do together as a family. They’ll help to bring you closer while also giving you some fun ways to enjoy your winter season. Come check ‘em out now!
Winter is a time that it’s easy to want to stay inside to stay warm and away from all of the sickness and germs that seem to be EV-ERY-WHERE. I mean, who wants to be cold and get sick, right? But can you say BOOOOORINNNNG?!? It’s no fun to stay cooped up in the house all winter long!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Since winter has been going on (officially) for about a month, I figured it was time to make our family winter bucket list. It’s time to make winter go from drab to fab! I’ve come up with a lot of fun ideas that you can stay at home to do, as well as get out of the house for. And of course, I’ve made a printable version to share with you as well!
Before we get to the goods, make sure that you grab your winter bucket list! I’ve left a few blank spaces at the bottom for you to fill in some extras if there’s something special that you like to do this time of year.
For the most part, I left any holiday-related activities out. If those are your jam, then make sure that you check out our ultimate holiday bucket list!
WINTER FOOD BUCKET LIST
There are some foods that you just look forward to when it’s cold outside! Whether it’s cold outside for you, or you just want to pretend like it is, try out these foods and you’ll see why they made it on our bucket list!
- Make your own hot cocoa bar.
- Eat snow cones made from real snow!
- Bake sugar cookies for Valentine’s Day. (Winter technically ends mid-March!)
- Make a big batch of chili.
- Cook a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup.
- Bake some homemade bread!
- Make some snow ice cream.
- Have an indoor picnic on a blanket on the floor.
Don’t those all sound like so much fun?! Our family is definitely looking forward to all of the food that made our winter bucket list. Food just has a way of bringing people closer together and making memories and I just love that!
FUN THINGS TO DO AT HOME
Sometimes you just want to stay in the house while doing something fun, and that’s okay! These ideas will help you to spice up your day at home. And the best part? Most of these winter bucket list ideas are F-R-E-E!
- Have a pillow fight!
- Build a blanket fort.
- Do a puzzle together.
- Have a staycation at home!
- Have a family game night.
- Hold a coloring contest.
- Have a movie marathon.
- Read a book together.
- Play hide and seek.
- Host a football-watching party. Super Bowl, anyone?!
- Have a dance party with fun disco lights.
- Cuddle by the fire.
- Have a pajama day.
Hopefully by now, you’re realizing why all of these ideas made our winter bucket list when it comes to staying home. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to do them all right now! We love making memories at our house.
FUN THINGS TO MAKE AT HOME
We like to get crafty to help keep the kids entertained for longer. They love making their own things. Plus, if you save them, then they can make great homemade gifts for when you need them. Check ‘em out and see what you think!
- Make your own playdough.
- Cut out paper snowflakes and decorate your house with them!
- Make a pine cone bird feeder.
- Create your own Frozen-themed slime.
- Make your own snow globes.
- Make your own bath bombs!
Our kids were super excited when we added these to our winter bucket list! The hardest part will be deciding on which one we want to make first. 😉
WINTER BUCKET LIST SERVICE PROJECTS
Now is a good time of the year to be thinking about and serving others! With the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it can definitely be easy to get caught up in only what you need to get done. That’s why we make it a point to get these ideas on our winter bucket list so that we remember to serve others during this busy and cold time of the year!
- Go through the house and donate things that you don’t use!
- Write thank you cards to your friends, neighbors, or service people.
- Donate to a coat drive.
- Volunteer at a local shelter.
- Shovel a neighbor’s drive.
- Take goodies to the local fire and police stations.
- Go visit a nursing home.
Whatever your family chooses to do, make it worthwhile! It’s always good to serve others and it really helps you to be thankful and grateful for what you have in your life.
PLACES TO GO
While staying at home can be fun (obviously, thanks to all of the great ideas so far!), sometimes you just gotta get out of the house. See how many of these are in your area and get them on your calendar now so that you make sure and carve out the time for them.
- Go ice skating.
- Have a bowling night with your friends.
- Attend a hockey game.
- Go see a matinee at the movies.
- Hit up the library.
- Go see the ice castles.
- Go stargazing. Take some blankets to stay warm! (Use THIS link and the code JORDAN45 to get 45% off!)
- Visit a museum.
- Go to an indoor playground.
- Hit up the mall. Leave your wallet in the car if you’re not wanting to spend any money!
- Go see a play.
- Visit family that you haven't seen in a while.
- Take family pictures.
If those don’t cure your itch to get out of the house and have fun then I don’t know what will! 🙂
ULTIMATE WINTER BUCKET LIST IDEAS
Are you ready for the coolest ideas yet? (Coolest, get it? Because it’s cold outside… Oh man, I’ve got the mom jokes!) Seriously, these are what winter dreams are made of. You can thank me later when your kids are thinking that you’re the coolest parents on the planet. 😉
- Make frozen bubbles. They're so cool and pretty!
- Build an igloo.
- Make snow angels.
- Build the biggest snowman possible!
- Go sledding.
- Go on a winter hike.
- Hit the slopes! Go snowboarding or skiing.
- Have a bonfire! (Don’t forget the s’mores.)
- Paint in the snow.
- Catch snowflakes.
- Snowball fight!!! (If you don’t live where there’s snow, don’t worry! Grab you some fake snowballs and go to town.)
- Go on a winter scavenger hunt.
I mean seriously, if those don’t happen then is it really even a winter bucket list?! These are what winter is all about.
HOW TO MAKE THE WINTER BUCKET LIST A POSTER
We love to blow our lists up and make them into posters so that we can hang them on our fridge. That way, everybody can see what we still have left to check off. It’s so easy to make them into a poster, too!
Just go to your favorite photo-printing place and have it printed in poster size. Here are a few places for you to choose from:
Pro tip: Always make sure that you check for some kind of a discount code before ordering your poster! If you have Rakuten, then you definitely should use it with any of your online shopping! (Use this link and get $10 on your first $25 spent!)
Alright, well there you have it! Some of my best ideas to make the most of your winter bucket list. What is your family’s favorite thing that you always have to do during the winter months? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for more fun bucket lists to do throughout the year?
- Get 100 fun summer activities to do with kids plus free printable!
- Looking for some fun things to do during the fall? Come get some great ideas and a free printable.