This super easy crock pot roast recipe is so good, they'll think you slaved away allll day! It'll become your favorite go-to for a delicious home cooked meal on a lazy Sunday.
We get requests for easy meals all the time here at Fun Cheap or Free. And while we're certainly NOT Rachael Ray, we do believe in the benefits of cooking for our families, even if it's not our favorite thing to do. This pot roast recipe checks all the marks—it's easy, good, and you don't have to spend hours preparing it! What more could you ask for?
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
This delicious slow cooker pot roast recipe is our family's favorite and EASIEST Sunday dinner. Throw it all in the slow cooker for those lazy days—especially in the summer when none of us want to turn on our ovens! All you need for this easy pot roast recipe is a crock pot and a few simple ingredients.
WHY WE LOVE A POT ROAST RECIPE
We have already mentioned how incredibly easy and quick this recipe is to put together, but it's also great for your budget! While the roast may cost a little bit up front, this recipe will yield multiple meals and can potentially last all week. Add leftovers to soups, stews, turn it into tacos or throw it on top of a salad. It's multi-purpose—sounds like a win in our book!
HOW TO CHOOSE A ROAST
The most important part of a pot roast recipe is, well, the ROAST! If you've ever looked at the roasts in the store, you probably know there are many kinds to choose from. There are shoulder roasts, rump roasts, eye rounds, topsides, brisket, and so many more!
The key to choosing the perfect cut of meat for your pot roast is to get the toughest piece you can find with the most marbling. The kind that would probably be inedible if you were to slice it up and toss it on the grill. Trust us, something absolutely magical happens when you cook a tough piece of meat low and slow. All that connective tissue that makes it tough will break down and melt away into a flavorful, mouthwatering, delicate roast. Mmmhhhmmm.
WATCH THE SUPER QUICK VIDEO FOR HOW WE MAKE THE ROAST
Easy Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 Roast of your choice
- Potatoes roughly cut
- 2 Onions cut in half
- Onion Soup Mix
- Add roast to the slow cooker then add all veggies and potatoes.
- Mix the onion soup mix with 2 cups of water and pour on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until tender and delicious!
See? Super simple! We like to add a little extra water to the roast then take the leftover liquid and reduce it down (using a roux as a base) to make gravy. Flavor it with beef bouillon if there isn't enough flavor.
MIX IT UP
As you can see by the recipe, we don't use measurements for this one. Toss in as many carrots and potatoes as you want and you're good to go! That flexibility is exactly what makes this recipe a perfect shelf cooking recipe.
Have some celery you need to use before it goes bad? Toss it in the pot. Parsnips and peas are delicious in a pot roast, too. Make it your own by using what makes sense for you!
HOW TO USE LEFTOVER ROAST
Pot roast is incredible fresh out of the crock pot, but it's also incredible for round two, three and even four! Here are some of our favorite ways to reuse and repurpose leftover pot roast.
- Vegetable Beef Stew – Again, use the veggies you have on hand!
- Taco Tuesday – Brown some of the tender pot roast in a cast iron skillet until the fat starts to caramelize. Put it in a tortilla, toss on some diced onion and cilantro and you're ready for some of the tastiest tacos you've ever eaten!
- Breakfast Omelettes – Chop of some of your leftover roast for a tasty omelette addition.
- Mason Jar Salads – Top off your next round of mason jar salads with some leftover pot roast. It's even good cold!
There are SO MANY easy and tasty ways to repurpose leftover pot roast. These are just a few! It's so versatile, you really can't go wrong.
HOW TO FREEZE LEFTOVER POT ROAST
If you have more roast than you think you can eat in the week, don't hesitate to freeze that baby for later use! Divvy out into air tight freezer bags and tuck away into the safety of your freezer. (Check out our best tips for freezing leftovers here!) Be sure to label with the date and contents so you don't forget what you have. (Trust us, it happens...)
And there you have it… the easiest, most scrumptious pot roast recipe EVER! Literally toss it in, walk away and you'll have a dinner your whole family will beg for more of.
There are still a few free copies left of my A Month of Healthy Affordable Freezer Meals Ebook, sign up today and get your FREE copy!
What is your favorite roast recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Check out these posts for some additional easy dinner ideas!
- Need more dinner ideas? Check out these 100+ Dinner Ideas for busy nights! (+ FREE PRINTABLE)
- Try this 10 Minute Meal: Smothered and Baked Tilapia Recipe. It's so EASY!
- Easy Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken Recipe: 4 ingredients, 5 minutes, so darn good!
- Try this homemade Ham Dinner made COMPLETELY from pantry, fridge, and freezer!
- “Delicious Chicken”: A 5-Ingredient Family Favorite Recipe!
- Don't forget to get your kids involved next time you cook with these fun tips!