Creamy Crock Pot Leftover Turkey Soup
Adapted from THIS recipe
1lb cut up or shredded (leftover) chicken or turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
2C Diced veggies – carrots, celery
2 (10.5oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom, or 1 of each…I used fat-free)
4-6C chicken broth, or 6C water + 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon. Start with 4 and add more if you want a runnier consistency.
1C uncooked wild rice
Seasonings to taste – sage, rosemary, thyme, ground black pepper, garlic pepper blend.
1. Place turkey, onion, veggies, canned soup, and chicken broth in greased crockpot. Stir to mix well.
2. Cover, cook on low 7-8 hours.
3. One hour before cooking, cook up wild rice according to package directions. Add rice and half-and-half to soup. Let it cook on low until ready to serve. Add more broth if needed. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad, and enjoy!
I made a LARGE batch of this soup so I could take some to a new neighbor that moved in. Here's how I adapted it:
- I added lots more turkey and veggies (at least 3+ cups of each I'd say). I wanted it hearty.
- I added 2 cans of cream of chicken, and 1 can of cream of mushroom.
- I didn't track how much water I added but I just kept adding water and bouillon until it was the consistency I liked. It was at least 6-8+ cups.
- After a few hours I moved the soup from the slow cooker to a large pot on the stove so the veggies would cook faster because I was running out of time. I brought the soup to a boil and let it simmer to really make the onions and carrots nice and soft.
- I cooked 2C of rice. I added it to the soup, let it simmer for a little while, then ended up adding a little more water.
- I added an entire pint of half-and-half.
- I let all of that simmer until ready to eat.
So, as you can see, this recipe can be made in the crock pot OR on the stove. It's a winner either way, I can't wait to eat it as leftovers tonight! I made such a big batch I'm going to freeze 1/2 to eat when baby comes, I'll let you know how that turns out.
Check out these other great posts:
- What is shelf cooking?
- Leftovers hacks!
- How to store groceries, choose a watermelon, and other FOOD HACKS!
- Make-Ahead Freezer Sandwiches! Perfect for school lunches!
- How I grocery shop + stock up on a budget!
- The best homemade salsa recipe!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen! Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!