This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe is the perfect thing to make when you want to use up leftover rice or chicken! Just mix everything up in a casserole dish and pop it into the oven. No extra dirty dishes!
Hi! This is Melissa from Beautiful Life and Home sharing a favorite family recipe! And by favorite, I'm going to say this is in the Top 5.
I once asked my daughter's best friend what her favorite food was. Everyone has something their mom makes that is just THE BEST, am I right? I was totally surprised when she said, “Your Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole.”
I beat out HER OWN MOTHER with this recipe. The last time I made it, I texted her (because I'm a cool mom like that) and invited her over to dinner. She came right over and helped my family polish off the whole thing. You're gonna want to snag this recipe and add it to your menu tonight! You can thank me later!
Ingredients for Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
While it's super easy to use leftovers in this chicken and broccoli casserole recipe, you can also make it from scratch. That means you'll need to make some rice (instant rice is fine) and bake some chicken. But both of those things are pretty darn easy. So here you go!
- Cooked rice of any variety. (This is a great recipe to hide brown rice in!)
- Cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces. (You can use leftovers from these great recipes for Cheesy Bacon Chicken or Creamy Lemon Chicken. The leftover sauce goes great in this recipe, too!)
- Steamed broccoli
- Cream of Chicken soup
- Lemon juice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Get out your favorite (because we all have a favorite!) casserole dish. I always use a round glass or ceramic dish, but you can also make this in a 9×13 pan.
- Mix up the Cream of Chicken soup, Mayonnaise, and lemon juice right in the casserole dish or pan. (Don't add any water or milk to the Cream of Chicken soup!)
- Dump in your cooked rice, cooked chicken, steamed broccoli, and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix it all together until everything is all one big happy family.
- Cover the dish or pan with foil and pop it into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. That's it!
Can You Use Frozen Broccoli?
Yes! But steam it first. Don't throw it into the casserole while frozen, or it won't cook completely in the oven.
I always steam my broccoli (frozen or fresh) in a special plastic steamer in my microwave. For fresh broccoli, I microwave on high for two minutes. For frozen broccoli, I microwave on high for two-and-a-half minutes.
Can You Use Canned Chicken?
Absolutely! Canned chicken works great in this recipe and it keeps you from having to cook any (which is a win in my book)!
Can I Adjust the Amounts of the Ingredients?
Yes you can! This is one of those recipes that is really hard to mess up. If you happen to have more rice than called for, or less chicken, no worries! Just dump it all in and mix it up – it'll still taste great! The only thing I would advise against is using TOO much more rice, since it will dilute the flavor of the sauce.
Can I Use Store-Bought Shredded Cheese?
Lots of recipes don't like to use pre-shredded cheese, since it often doesn't melt as well. But it works just fine in this recipe, so no need to get out your big block of cheese and hand-shred it yourself!
What Should I Pair This With?
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the Cream of Chicken Soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a large casserole dish.
- Add the steamed broccoli, cooked rice, cooked chicken, and shredded cheese. Stir everything together.
- Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is hot. (The time you cook it depends on if you use hot rice or cold rice.)
You won't even have to worry about doing the dishes–you'll be licking your plate clean! (I kid, I kid. Please still wash your dishes, even if they look clean!) Enjoy!
Hi, I'm Melissa! I help women like you create a beautiful life and home through the magic of cooking, the thrill of home organization, and the joy of discovering your personal style. Join me today on my site Beautiful Life and Home for your free gifts! Smiles and hugs, every day!