So you're thinking of getting a new credit card? Make sure that card earns you cash! We're about to reveal the best rewards credit cards, plus share tips for making the most of those points.
Credit cards can be downright confusing. What's a reasonable interest rate, and what the heck is APR? And how do credit cards even work? It can all feel like a mystery. And then there are all the options!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Should you choose a card that offers airline miles? Gift cards? Cashback? Today we're going to help make that decision a little bit easier. Keep reading for our picks for the five best rewards credit cards!
EARN UP TO 4% BACK WITH THE COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA CREDIT CARD
Hey, Costco shoppers! We see you. And we know you already love stocking up on all those deals (and sneaking a free sample or two), but did you know you can pretty much get paid to shop at Costco with their rewards credit card?! Yup. It's definitely one of the best rewards credit cards around. They offer perks like 4% back for gas, 3% for restaurants and travel, 2% back for Costco purchases, and 1% for everything else.
Our team member Meggan racked up over $900 in rewards last year! You can use those rewards for a Costco shopping haul or take it in cash. Want to know all the other details on this insanely cool credit card? Here you go:
- How to Apply – Head over to citi.com to apply for the Costco Anywhere card.
- Annual Fee – If you're a Costco member, there's no annual fee!
- Average Interest Rate – The standard variable APR for purchases is 15.24%
- Credit Score Needed – To qualify for this card, you need very good to excellent credit, which generally means a score above 740.
Pro Tip: Use your credit card like a debit card to maximize your points! Just be sure to pay it off each week to avoid taking on debt. As our team member, Meggan, says, “We literally use our credit card as kind of a debit card and pay it off weekly, so there’s no temptation to keep a balance.”
EARN 5% BACK ON ALL THOSE AMAZON PURCHASES WITH AN AMAZON REWARDS VISA CARD
By now, you probably realize Amazon has its own credit cards. If you're not already a cardholder, we bet you've seen those ads on their site. But did you know how much money you can save with that credit card? We have a friend who does ALL his Christmas shopping using rewards from that card. Pretty crazy, huh?
If you're a big spender on Amazon, the points add up quickly because you get 5% on all Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases. Restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores will score 2% back, and any other purchase earns 1%. have we piqued your interest yet? Here are the deets:
- How to Apply – Just head on over to Amazon.com (Don't act like you weren't already planning to go there today!)
- Annual Fee – There's no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
- Average Interest Rate – Cardmembers can choose 5% back OR 0% promo APR for 6-18 months on purchases of $50 or more. After the introductory period, a variable APR of 14.24% to 22.24% applies.
- Credit Score Needed – This card is great for folks with average credit. You only need a score of 640 to qualify.
Our team member Jamie buys everything with her Amazon card, and she's used that cash for some big-time savings. “I’ve purchased everything from cars to my home windows with it to get the Amazon cash. I use credit for every purchase I can and pay my card off monthly to avoid the fees!”
GET HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS IN FREE GROCERIES WITH A KROGER CREDIT CARD
No, we're not kidding. One of our team members scored $850 in free groceries each year with this credit card! The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard® gives you unlimited rewards. Every 1,000 points = $5 in free groceries. And if you buy a Kroger-brand item, you get double points. See? It literally pays to shop generic! Oh, and you can save money on gas with this card, too.
If you don't have a Kroger in your area, don't panic. They own a TON of other grocery stores, including Harris Teeter, Dillons, Fred Meyer, Smith’s Food and Drug, Ralph's, and King Soooper's (just to name a few). Here's what you need to know if you plan to apply for their card:
- How to Apply – You can apply in-store or online at Krogermastercard.com.
- Annual Fee – There's no annual fee!
- Average Interest Rate – It can range from 11.99% to 23.99%, depending on your terms.
- Credit Score Needed – You need good credit to qualify for this card. Generally, scores above 700 are accepted.
You've got to go grocery shopping anyway, so you might as well rack up some cash doing it, right?! Just remember to pay down those balances before the interest charges hit your account!
GET PAID TO PAY YOUR BILLS WITH THE CITI DOUBLE CASH CARD
Several of our team members use and love the Citi Double Cash Card. You get 1% back on each purchase and then another 1% when you pay it off. What makes this card unique is that you get 1% back for every single purchase. There are no categories to keep track of, and no minimum spends. And they literally pay you to pay your bill, so how's that for motivation?! If you're interested, here are all the things you need to know:
- How to Apply – Fill out an application online via Citi.
- Annual Fee – There's no annual fee!
- Average Interest Rate – Depending on your credit, it ranges from 13.99% – 23.99%
- Credit Score Needed – You need excellent credit (760+) to qualify for this card and a score over 800 to get the best interest rate.
If you have a balance you'd like to transfer from another card, you should do it! It's a great way to pay off your debt more quickly, and Citi offers 0% Intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers.
DISCOVER WILL MATCH YOUR CASHBACK AT THE END OF YOUR FIRST YEAR
Okay, we almost can't even believe this one! A few of our team members love their Discover It® Cash Back Rewards Credit Card, so we decided to give it a look, and holy cow! Not only do you get 5% for shopping at places like Amazon, but they match your cashback dollar for dollar at the end of your first year as a cardholder. Hello, free money! If this doesn't qualify as one of the best rewards credit cards, we don't know what does.
They also offer different quarterly incentives in partnership with certain retailers. For example, this January- March, they offered 5% back on Walmart grocery pickup orders. Um. Yes, please! Ready to give this one a try? Here's what you need to know:
- How to Apply – Applying is quick and easy at discover.com.
- Annual Fee – No annual fee!
- Average Interest Rate – 11.99% to 22.99%, depending on creditworthiness. They often offer 0% interest for a 12-14 month introductory period.
- Credit Score Needed – Applicants with good credit scores can easily qualify for this card. 700+ is a good rule of thumb.
Now the only thing left to consider is how you're going to spend all those extra points you rack up at the end of the first year!
WHICH REWARDS CREDIT CARD DO YOU LIKE BEST?
Whether you're in the market for a new rewards card yourself or just want to look like a smarty pants at the next family dinner, you're well prepared with all the deets on the best rewards credit cards. Now, go rack up some points, Freebs. Just don't forget to pay that balance.
We'd love to hear about your favorite rewards credit card! Which one do you use? And how have you used your points? Tell us in the comments, or stop by our Facebook group to say hi.
Looking for more genius ways to score some freebies?
- If you like to save money on food, you need these fast food apps!
- Know a teacher? Send them this list of 33 legit freebies for teachers.
- Celebrate another trip around the sun with this MASSIVE list of birthday freebies!
Now go earn some cash back, Freebs!
In Canada the Canadian tire triangle rewards mastercard (talk about mouthful) is an awesome rewards card. They have a lot of participating stores (sports chek, marks work warehouse, party city, etc..) and all of those stores give you 4% CT money, 5% CT money on gas and 1.5% CT money at any other store.
The best is you aren’t limited to just Canadian tire to use the CT points. You can use them at all of their participating stores. We save our points and use them to upgrade our kids bikes almost yearly
Thank you for sharing!