Family game night is a great way to spend quality time with your kids without going out and breaking the bank! We're going to show you the BEST family games for your next family night at home. We'll even break it down by age!
Looking for a way to get your kids excited about family time without spending gobs going to an arcade or bowling alley? Family game night for the win. We'll show you the best family games your kids will actually be into!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Between school, work, extracurriculars, and whatever else you have on your plate, getting in quality family time can be a challenge! Trust us, we get it. It is so important to hit the pause button on life sometimes and spend quality time with our kids.
Whether you're trying to entertain toddlers or teenagers, we've got you covered! We're breaking it down by age so you have all the information you need to plan your next successful family game night. We'll even give you bonus points for doing it completely unplugged! 😉 You got this, mama!
BEST FAMILY BOARD GAMES
Are you and your kids getting tired of playing the same old board game every single family night? Crank game night up a notch with these awesome family board games! Some are cooperative, some are competitive, some are long-time classics, but all are fun!
BOARD GAMES FOR AGES 3-7
- Pete the Cat: The Missing Cupcakes Game – Any other Pete the Cat fans up in here? Woot woot!
- Zingo! Bingo with a Zing – Not only do kids love this game, but it helps broaden their vocabulary!
- Candy Land – A classic!
- Hi-Ho Cherry-O
- Colorama – There are multiple ways to play this game, meaning it can grow with your kids and get more challenging as they age!
- Race to the Treasure! – This game introduces strategy and critical thinking to even the youngest players!
- Chutes and Ladders – Because who doesn't get a little excited when they get to climb a ladder up the board?
- Sequence for Kids
- Feed the Woozle – This cooperative game is very hands-on to keep everyone's attention!
- Hoot Owl Hoot – Another cooperative game that will encourage working together. #MomWin
- Richard Scarry's Busytown Eye Found It – This oversized board game is over six feet long and perfect for little hands.
BOARD GAMES FOR AGES 8-11
- Clue Junior – All the fun of the original!
- Catan Jr.
- Mole Rats in Space – For the space loving family!
- Battleship – A favorite in our house!
- Ticket to Ride First Journey – For the future travelers!
- The Game of Life Junior
- Blokus – This is another one the whole family will enjoy!
- Parcheesi – A nostalgic classic similar to Sorry!
BOARD GAMES FOR AGES 12+
- Sequence – We LOVE this one!
- The Settlers of Catan
- Clue – Do you know whodunnit?
- Scrabble – For the thinkers of the group!
- Monopoly – Make sure you have plenty of time to play this long game!
- Ticket to Ride – There's a European version, too!
- The Game of Life
- Wahoo – We never take a trip without this fun family game!
Whichever board game you choose, you can't go wrong with any of these. All are sure to bring lots of laughter, plenty of bonding time, and little kid giggles galore! Ahh, music to our ears, right?
Pro Tip: Baggies, baggies, baggies! Keep any small board game pieces and cards in baggies so they aren't lost in the game night abyss. (Yeah, we've lost many Monopoly pieces here, too…) Plus, this makes it easier for little hands to help with set-up and clean-up!
FAMILY CARD GAMES
Who doesn't love a good card game? We know we certainly do! With fewer little pieces and less clean-up, these card games are perfect for a quick and easy impromptu family game night. Here are some of our favorite go-to's!
CARD GAMES FOR AGES 3-7
- Color Go Fish! – This game is for the younger kids who may not be ready for regular Go Fish.
- eeBoo Create a Story Cards – Watch their imagination come to life! There are several themes to choose from.
- Slap Jack Farm Card Game
- Hisss – A fun snake-themed matching card game!
- Dino Dig Card Game
- Memory – This classic comes in every theme you can think of to fit your style!
- Move Your Body Fun Deck – Get active with this one!
CARD GAMES FOR AGES 8-11
- UNO – A crowd favorite for all!
- Rat-A-Tat-CAT – Helps your kids practice strategy, memory, and addition. Don't worry, they won't even know they're learning!
- Five Crowns Junior
- Ruckus – A fun card game to get the competition flowing!
- Monopoly DEAL
- Crazy Eights
- Blink – This two-player game is quick and sure to keep you on your toes.
- Apples to Apples Junior – A kid-friendly version of the original.
- Sleeping Queens
CARD GAMES FOR AGES 12+
- Heads Up! Party Game – Everyone will be ROLLING with this hilarious game! For ages 8+, play this one with the older kids, too.
- Gin Rummy – All you need for this game is a classic deck of cards!
- Apples to Apples
- Taboo – You'll be fighting over the buzzer!
- Mad Gab
- Code Names – May the best team win!
- Five Crowns
- Spoons – A thrilling card game even the younger kids can play!
- Phase 10
- Family Feud Survey Showdown – This card game brings the gameshow to life at home. Make sure to cue up your gameshow tunes beforehand!
These family card games guarantee a good time. Try including the younger kids by letting them play with a grown-up! It's a great opportunity to teach them listening skills, too. We all know that's an important life lesson for us all, right?!
Pro Tip: Grab a card holder for little hands that can't grip their cards well yet. If you don't have a card holder, a chip clip can do the job, too!
MORE OF THE BEST FAMILY GAMES
This list of family games doesn't fall into the board or card game category, but they are definitely worth playing. Plus, they are great for any age from 1-99. Yeah, you heard that right… Go invite your friends and get Great-Granny involved, too!
This list of the best family games is everything you need to make your family game night a hit for the whole bunch! Be sure to look through our best family game night ideas post to make it the best. night. ever! Looking for more fun and free things to do at home? Check that post out for some more awesome ideas!
What are your favorite family games to play together? Tell us in the comments below!
Check out these awesome family posts, too!
- Get our 10+ family movie night ideas and free printable!
- Learn how to plan a family staycation on a budget and have a blast without breaking the bank!
- Find out what age-appropriate chores your kids should be doing!
Game on, friends!