It feels like we blinked…and it was November. What the heck, guys?! If the holidays snuck up on you this year, too, then you’re in the right place! We’ve got the BEST advent calendars you can make (or buy) for kids — or even for yourself…after all, aren't we all just kids during the holidays?!
We love this time of year, but with so many activities to plan, food to cook, and gifts to buy, things can get a little hectic. It’s hard to find time for anything else between cookie baking, decorating, and moving that dang elf on the shelf. So, maybe, like us, you’ve just realized you don’t have an advent calendar for the kids.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Fear not, Freebs! Whether you’re looking to buy an affordable one or make your own, we’ve rounded up tons of the cutest advent calendars for kids. Let’s spread some holiday cheer, one day at a time!
THE BEST DIY ADVENT CALENDARS FOR KIDS
If you think you need tons of expensive supplies to make a SUPER fun advent calendar, think again. All of our ideas are “Affordable” with a capital “A.” Try one of these:
- Paper Bag Advent Calendar – Grab some paper bags (brown, white, or colored — you pick!), and fill each with a few surprises from The Dollar Tree. Number each bag and let your kids open one each day leading up to Christmas.
- DIY Book Advent Calendar – Each year, wrap up 25 books and open one each day. Feel free to use from your own collection or grab a few of our favorite Christmas ones each year!
- Clothespin Advent Calendar – Make your own garland banner for the mantel using some string and clothespins. Decorate the clothespins in the shapes of reindeer, snowmen, or Christmas trees, and number them. Add a new pin to the line each day.
- Popsicle Stick Advent Calendar – Grab some popsicle sticks and number them all on one side. Flip them over, and write a scripture verse on the back of a few. On the other popsicle sticks, write out surprises. For example, “tonight we’re having an ice cream party!” Place all the sticks in a jar, and let your kids take turns pulling one out each day. It’s a fun learning exercise, too, because they have to find the right number!
- Mini Gift Box Advent Calendar – Grab some mini-boxes from The Dollar Tree and fill them all with little treats. Let the kids unwrap one each day.
- Mason Jar Advent Calendar – Is there anything you can’t do with mason jars?! We even use them to organize the bathroom. Round up those glasses and number the lids. Have fun with it and decorate them if you’d like. Fill them all with treats to enjoy each day. We highly recommend jelly beans! 😉
See? So easy, right? That said, if you’re short on time, we’ve got you covered, too. Let’s go shopping!
OUR FAVORITE AMAZON ADVENT CALENDARS
You guys know how much we love Amazon. It’s tough to beat the prices and convenience. And that crazy-fast, free shipping has saved us so many times! Luckily, Amazon still has plenty of adorable Advent Calendars in stock, so if you need one fast, check these out:
- BBrand Christmas Gnome Advent Calendar – How stinking cute is this one, you guys?! It qualifies for free shipping if you’re a Prime Member. Oh, and you can use it year after year. What’s not to love?
- Slime Advent Calendar – We guarantee this will be a hit with the kids! If you have a Prime Membership, it ships for free in one day. Don’t want to buy it? Try making your own version using our favorite slime recipe.
- Emergency Heroes Advent Calendar – Okay, how cool is this one?! We can picture our kids playing with this for hours. It’s under $22 and qualifies for one-day shipping with Prime.
- Glow-in-the-Dark LED Advent Calendar – Sign us up for all things glow-in-the-dark! This one will ship fast and free with your Prime membership.
Now we’re feeling all Christmasy! Let’s keep this party going. Next stop: Target!
INSTAGRAM-WORTHY TARGET FINDS
Target always comes through! Especially during the holiday season. Just be careful! Stick to your list, and don’t let that Dollar Spot derail your budget. We think your kids will love one of these advent calendars:
- LEGO Advent Calendar – We secretly want this one for ourselves! Fun for all ages, right?!
- Hot Wheels Holiday Surprise Advent Calendar – Okay, we want this one, too. Why didn’t they have these when we were kids?!
- Countdown to Christmas Wooden Advent Calendar – This magnetic Christmas Tree calendar is so cute! And you can use it again next year.
- Little Advent Calendar Sticker Activity Book – This one is under $2, so grab one for each kiddo!
- M&M Holiday Advent Calendar – Satisfy that sweet tooth with this affordable option! You can’t go wrong with chocolate.
We’re giddy over here, you guys! Let’s make one last stop. You up for a quick trip to Walmart?
AWESOME ADVENT CALENDARS FROM WALMART
If you need it, Walmart’s probably got it! And that’s definitely true if you’re looking for advent calendars. Check these out:
- 3-D Santa Felt Advent Calendar – Adorbs, right?! Hang this one up by the tree or keep it in your kitchen for a fun morning activity.
- Disney Storybook Collection Advent Calendar – If your kids are Disney fans, they’ll love this! It’s not available online, but you can buy it in-store or order ahead for store pickup.
- Lip Smacker Frozen Calendar – Who doesn’t love Elsa? And a chapstick calendar? How cool! Get this one shipped for free!
- Grinch Scratch ‘N Reveal Advent Calendar – Here’s another fun one! Scratch off cards are the best! And this one features your favorite Christmas grump.
- Hanging Snowman Felt Advent Calendar – This one is inexpensive, but oh-so-cute! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
While you’re shopping for the kids, don’t forget to treat yourself! Grab a beauty advent calendar from Ulta or Target, or make your own. Round up a few fun items from The Dollar Tree and enjoy your own little countdown full of treats. You deserve it!
And there you have it! Twenty fun and festive advent calendar ideas. Which one is your favorite? Drop us a comment below.
Looking for more Christmas fun?
- We put together the ultimate holiday bucket list. Boredom, be gone!
- You’ll love putting together these fun homemade Christmas gifts.
- Check out these easy and themed Christmas party ideas for kids!