Being frugal doesn't mean buying everything on the cheap! Sometimes, the most brilliant move is to spend a little more. Today, we're revealing six home essentials that are worth the investment and sharing tips that will help you save money when you buy them!
Okay. Time for some real talk. We're cheap, but we're NOT cheapskates (yes, there is a difference!). While “cheapskates” will focus only on bottom-line cost, being “cheap” means finding a way to get a valuable item you want and need without having to pay full price.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Some things are worth paying extra for because they not only work better, but they last longer and SAVE you money in the long run! So today, we're sharing some of our favorite “investments” with you, along with tips and hacks that will help you get them for cheaper. Save up, add these items to your Christmas list, just do what you have to do! Remember to use the 3-month budgeting rule and you'll be good to go. However you make it work, here are some of our favorite home essentials “investments” that we think are worth the splurge.
HOME ESSENTIALS SPLURGE #1: A GOOD VACUUM
So, here's the thing. We once “invested” in a $160 vacuum that literally broke in less than a year. #LessonLearned
Do the math. You have two options: spend $160 on a new vacuum every year or spend a little more on a vacuum that will work SO much better and last. No brainer, right?! Here are a few options worth considering:
- Dyson – If you have pets, get yourself a Dyson! We get it. The $500(ish) price tag feels like a tough pill to swallow, but remember what we said about those bargain vacuums? We LOVE this Dyson Ball Animal Upright. It's the best at picking up all the pet hair. (We've got plenty of experience with this!)
- Roomba – Treat yourself, mama! While you're tidying up the kitchen (or reading, or doing something else fun!), set the Roomba free and let it clean for you. Is this a splurge item? Absolutely. Is it worth saving up to buy? We vote “yes!” You can even schedule this bad boy to vacuum while you work or sleep.
Bonus: if you have kids, definitely invest in a car vacuum, too! We got a VOTOR handheld vacuum on Amazon for less than $25. Think of all the money you'll save when you skip those pricey car washes! #WorthIt
HOW TO FIND A VACUUM FOR CHEAPER
Alright, now that you know it's time to pay for a high-quality vacuum, we bet you'd love to save a buck or two. We never pay full price, and these tips have helped us save a ton on vacuum cleaners:
- Use a Coupon – A 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon can save you a TON on small appliances like a vacuum. Don't have a coupon? Google one! Shopping at a store that price matches? Bring their competitor's coupons.
- Buy Refurbished – Did you know Amazon sells used, refurbished items? Yup! We found a Dyson for $80 off once.
- Costco – You guys know how much we love Costco, right? FYI–they sell Dysons, and sometimes they go on sale, so keep an eye out.
- Use Rakuten – Shopping online for that vacuum? Don't forget to use Rakuten! You get cash back, which helps recoup some costs.
- Have Your Vacuum Serviced – Another way to save money on vacuums is to have them serviced. For example, we paid $35 to have our vacuum cleaned and tuned up, and after six years of use, it was working like a brand new vacuum again. So before tossing a vacuum, try to revive it first!
Ready to move on to home essentials item #2?
ADD THESE CLEANING SUPPLIES TO THE TOP OF YOUR HOME ESSENTIALS LIST
Keeping your house clean isn't easy with kids and pets running around, but a home is your most priceless investment of all! So, if you're looking for a few products that will help you keep your home in tip-top shape, these are the four essentials we think are worth the money:
- E-Cloths – Stop throwing money in the trash! That's literally what you're doing when you clean with paper towels. And truth be told, they don't work nearly as well as E-cloths!
- Steam Mop – If you have kids, do yourself a favor and invest in a nice steam mop. Ours cost less than $70. Is it more than an old-school shaggy mop? Yep. Does it make our life easier, though? Also yes!
- Magic Erasers – Don't cheap out and buy the generic version. We learned this the hard way. Magic erasers WORK, and they are worth it! Save yourself the cost of a new paint job.
- Carpet Sweeper – Using a carpet sweeper is a great solution in between vacuums and deep cleans, but not all carpet sweepers are created equal. Spend the extra $15-$20 to get one that works well. We recommend the Bissell Perfect Sweep.
Want to know how we save money on some of our pricer cleaning supplies? We've got a few tips for you!
HOW TO FIND THESE HOME ESSENTIALS FOR CHEAPER:
- Subscribe and Save – If you're an Amazon Prime member, bundle your most used items and save up to 15% through Subscribe and Save. You'll save a ton on things like E-cloths or Magic Erasers!
- Use an Affiliate Code – When your favorite influencers share product recommendations, they often come with discounts, so pay attention! For example, with our code JORDAN, you can save 10% on your E-Cloth purchases. Stack those savings onto one of their discounted bundles to save even more.
- Target App – If you're stocking up on cleaning supplies at Target, make sure to use their app! You can stack coupons and rack up rewards.
Alright, now that we've covered vacuums and cleaning supplies, let's switch gears for a minute! It's time to talk about keeping your clothing in tip-top shape.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY A HANDHELD CLOTHING STEAMER
We bet you've still got the same iron your mom gave you before you left for college. Look, there's nothing wrong with an old-school iron, but once you try a steamer, you'll never want to go back! They're faster, more effective, and easier on your clothes. In our opinion, all signs point to “worth it!” Here are a couple of handheld steamers to consider:
- PAX Steamer – We love that this PAX steamer heats up in just one minute! It's portable, too, which is convenient for travel.
- Conair Extreme Steam – This steamer by Conair also kills germs and busts dust on your bedding, so that's a bonus!
- Heavy-Duty Steamer – This PurSteam is legit! Sure it's a little pricier than the other two, but it's a great staple to have on hand in your laundry room.
Keeping your clothes and linens nice and tidy will help them last so much longer, and that's pretty much money in your pocket! If you're wondering how you can find a handheld steamer for a bit cheaper, we have some tips and tricks to share!
HOW TO FIND A HANDHELD STEAMER FOR CHEAPER:
Before you pay full price for that steamer, keep these tips in mind:
- Use Cash Back Rewards – If you have a rewards credit card like the Amazon Credit Card, you can rack up enough cashback to get a free steamer after just two grocery hauls!
- Buy Used – Scan the Facebook Marketplace before you put that brand new steamer in your cart!
- Shop Amazon Warehouse Deals – You'd be surprised what you can find for up to 70% less in the Amazon Warehouse. They have tons of home essentials!
And don't forget to check deal sites like Groupon, too! They offer discounts for top retailers in addition to local steals and deals.
INVEST IN A GOOD MATTRESS
Alright, if you decide to only splurge on ONE thing for your home, spring for a good mattress! You're going to use it every night, and good sleep is SO important. Saving a few bucks can lead to back problems, poor sleep, and poor health, and in the long run, that will cost you way, WAY more money. Here are two mattresses worth researching:
- Purple Mattress – You guys. Your back will thank you for buying a Purple Mattress! They're so stinking comfy. It's like sleeping on a cloud!
- Sleep Number – If you love a firm mattress and your hubby prefers the feel of memory foam, then the Sleep Number bed might be worth it to keep the peace!
Want to score a sweet deal on that new mattress? We have two quick tips!
HOW TO FIND A MATTRESS FOR CHEAPER
Okay, before you pay full price for that new bed, check out these pointers:
- Shop Semi-Annual Sales – It pays to learn about sales cycles, you guys! Fun fact: September is often the best month to buy mattresses.
- Take Advantage of 0% Financing – Many mattress companies, including Purple, will offer 0% interest payment plans. That means you can get the mattress of your dreams on just about any budget without racking up financing fees.
Need a little help saving up for a new mattress? Try a spending freeze!
DON'T SKIMP ON BEDDING
Okay, you've got a new mattress, now what goes on top?! Sure, you could scoop up a $20 comforter at Target, but is that the best way to go? We think it's worth it to invest in a high-quality bedding set that will LAST. Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Beddy's – Save yourself SO much time. Just zip up your Beddy's bedding and go about your day. These comforter sets hold up so well, and they come in the cutest patterns.
- Minky Couture – With the right blankets, you can save a ton on your heating bill! And keeping cozy blankets handy is just one of the most inviting ways to welcome guests. We're obsessed with Minky Couture blankets because they are seriously the softest on the planet! Oh, and they sell super luxurious pillowcases, too.
Want to save a whole bunch on these bedding sets and blankets? Well, lucky for you, we've got some discount codes to share!
SAVE MONEY ON YOUR BEDDING WITH THESE PROMO CODES
Because we love Beddy's and Minky Couture SO much, we worked out some deals for you. Here you go, Freebs:
- Save 20% on Beddy's – Use code JORDAN for 20% off your favorite Beddy's set. You can feel good about shopping with them because they give back to organizations like Make a Wish!
- Save 45% on Minky Couture – How can you say no to this deal?! Use code PAGE45 for 45% off! These soft Minky blankets make great gifts, too, so go ahead and stock up.
Alright, drumroll, please….. We've got one more home essentials investment to share. Can you guess what it is?!
A CARPET CLEANER IS WORTH THE INVESTMENT
Okay, we know we mentioned vacuum cleaners already, but carpet cleaners are in a league of their own! And if you have pets, kids, or both, you should consider investing in one! Why? Well, they help your carpet last so much longer, and they'll save you from spending a ton on commercial carpet cleaning services. And if you're renting, they just might help you get your security deposit back! Here are a few carpet cleaners to consider:
- Bissell 3624 Spot Clean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner – This portable carpet cleaner basically pays for itself after skipping one professional cleaning!
- Rug Doctor – Rug Doctors are the creme de la creme of carpet cleaners. They're one of the priciest options, but they last!
- Bissell Pet Stain Eraser – If you're looking for a bargain option that's perfect for quick fixes and small spaces, give this portable pet stain eraser a look.
You know what's next, right? Let's talk about a few quick ways to save on carpet cleaners!
HOW TO FIND ONE OF THESE HOME ESSENTIALS FOR CHEAPER
Before you buy full-price, keep these tips in mind:
- Check Zulily – Zulily isn't just for clothes! Keep an eye out for deals on home essentials.
- Use Wedding Registry Fulfillment Incentives – You can add your carpet cleaner to your wedding registry, and if no one buys it, cash in on the registry discount you get within a few weeks of your big event! We've got all the deets in this post about wedding registries.
- Search Yard Sales – Scan the yard sale ads for a carpet cleaner, and don't forget to check thrift shops, Nextdoor, and Facebook Marketplace, too!
And again, you can use credit card rewards to score deals on items like carpet cleaners, too. Don't forget to use Rakuten.
WHAT ARE YOUR HOME ESSENTIALS MUST-HAVES?
Don't worry, we didn't forget about those oh-so-handy kitchen essentials! They're so important that they got a post all on their own. Be sure to check out our list of kitchen essentials you should invest in and how to find them cheaper!
Well, there you have it, Freebs! Those are just a few of the items we think are worth the investment. Sometimes paying a little bit more pays off! Just be sure to stay within your budget when you're shopping.
What's on your home essentials must-haves list? Do you have any tips for saving on those items? Please leave a comment below and let us know!
Looking for a few more shopping tips and tricks?
- Save a ton on your jewelry with these tips!
- Learn how to shop online like a pro.
- Calling all crafters! This Michael's coupon + shopping tips will be your new best friend.
Remember, being frugal and cheap are NOT the same thing! Happy shopping (and saving)!