Make this Independence Day a total blast with these 4th of July ideas! From fun activities to festive treats and everything in between, we'll help you celebrate in style while saving money in the process.
There's no need to bust the budget to throw a rocking' 4th of July celebration. We'll help you celebrate America in a BIG way… on a small budget. We guarantee you won't be missing out on anything and you WON'T be sacrificing your financial goals, either!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Have a blast with the whole family, celebrating America's birthday the Fun Cheap or Free way! From affordable party foods for your star-spangled spread to cheap (but still snazzy!) decorations—they'll light the fireworks for this one.
4TH OF JULY FOOD IDEAS
Nothing says 4th of July like an all-American spread of patriotic eats and treats! We'll show you how to serve more… for less!
- Host a B.Y.O.M. BBQ – Cooking out on the 4th of July is classic… but meat isn't cheap! Instead of trying to provide it all, have each guest bring their own, ready to toss on the grill, so you can focus on other things.
- Baked Mac n Cheese Cups – Make your recipe, then bake it in sturdy cupcake liners for a portion-controlled serving. This ensures there is enough to go around!
- Deviled Eggs – Add some food dye to make them patriotic, too! These pack a protein punch for CHEAP!
- Homemade Salsa – Use white and blue corn chips.
- American Flag Fruit and Cheese Tray – Skip the pricy store-bought trays and make your own for way less. Use blueberries, red berries, and white cheese cubes to make it look like the flag!
- Hot Dog Bar – Roast your own! Perfect for a party with a bonfire.
- Patriotic Fruit Infused Water – Add blueberries and sliced strawberries to your water in a clear dispenser for a patriotic and delicious twist.
If you're planning a big bash and need a little more help with how to serve a crowd on the cheap, check out this helpful post for all the goods!
4TH OF JULY TREATS AND DESSERTS
Celebrate the sweetness of freedom with these tasty 4th of July treats and desserts!
- Angel Food Kabobs – Cut angel food cake into cubes and stick them on a skewer alternating with strawberry slices and blueberries.
- Homemade Popsicles – They're so easy and so fun for the kids.
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels – All you need are pretzels, white baker's chocolate, and some red, white, and blue sprinkles!
- Oreo Pops – This one is always a favorite.
- Red White and Blue Cupcakes in a Jar – So cute!
- Rice Crispy Treats – Top with sprinkles and cut into stars for some added patriotism.
- Classic Cherry Pie – Does it get more American than this?
- Berries and Whipped Cream – A patriotic dessert without all the guilt!
Not only does the food serve as food… but it also doubles as a decoration. Double whammy! Put that red, white, and blue goodness out on display for everyone to see as they mingle about.
4TH OF JULY DECORATION IDEAS
It IS possible to decorate for a 4th of July celebration without spending too much money OR being crafty. (We see you, non-crafty mama!) We'll show you how!
- Toilet Paper Roll Rockets – Get the kids in on this one and let them decorate the tubes. Put them on popsicle sticks and stick them in mason jars of rice for cheap centerpieces.
- Make Paper Chains – Give the kids red, white, and blue paper and let them handle this one, too. (Thanks, kids!) Garland for pennies!
- Flowers in Mason Jars – Forget the pre-arranged flowers and make your own for cheap. Grab carnations (they are sooooo cheap!) and divide between mason jars for cute decorations. Add a ribbon if you're feeling crafty, but it's not required!
- Use Food as Decor – There is no need to spend money on tons of red, white, and blue decorations if your food table will serve that purpose, too!
- Shop the Dollar Tree – They have lots of patriotic decor for CHEAP! Get table cloths, plasticware, and more for almost nothing.
- Free Online Printables – There are TONS of 4th of July decor printables online for free. All you have to do is search, print, and voila!
Use these great 4th of July decoration ideas for a bash you'll never forget… that your wallet didn't even know you had!
PATRIOTIC GAMES AND ACTIVITIES
Let the fun begin with these 4th of July games and activities!
- Giant Tic Tac Toe – Paint Xs and Os made from cardboard. Use string in the yard to create your board!
- Back Yard Slip n Slide – You don't need anything fancy—a cheap plastic tarp will do.
- Tin Can Toss – Paint old cans red, white and blue. Set them up and see how many you can knock down with the ball!
- Sack Race – Find cheap pillowcases at the dollar store.
- 4th of July Scavenger Hunt – Fun for all ages!
- Watch Free Fireworks – Many towns put on a free fireworks show for the community. If not, take a country drive outside the city limits after dark!
- Yard Twister – Paint red, white, and blue circles in the yard and get active.
- Make a Bonfire – Anyone else thinking s'mores!?
- United States Trivia – See who can get the most right
- Photo Backdrop – Use a cheap tablecloth or homemade garland for a cheap selfie station.
- Have a “NO” Word – For example, it could be the word “flag” or “red.” Every time someone is caught saying the “NO” word, they must recite the pledge of allegiance!
This holiday will be one full of fun and memories with these affordable 4th of July ideas! Have a blast (pun intended!) all while keeping the budget in check. Now, let's get to celebrating! What is your favorite way to celebrate this patriotic holiday? Share with us in the comments below!
Looking for other great posts?
- Learn what to do with all the leftover party food so nothing goes to waste!
- Stop feeling overwhelmed by all your to-dos and learn how this 10 minute timer trick will change your life!
- Unplug from technology and recharge with these tips and make the most of your time with your family!
Have a BLAST!