If you follow me on Instagram (um…you should, it's a great time over there…) then you've probably seen several IG Stories from parties I have thrown, with people laughing so hard, tears are often shed. That, my friends, is the result of my infamous Bowl Game: THE BEST, funniest, most amazing party game you will ever play.
And I don't say that lightly.
This is an ice-breaker/get-to-know-you/guessing game that will have you laugh-crying. Guaranteed or your money back! (wink.) Whether you know everyone in the group incredibly well (like family), or whether you hardly know the group at all (like at work, or neighborhood), it does. not. matter. We have played this game at every party we have thrown for almost 3 years now, and we have never had a fail on it yet! It's always a hit. You want to give yourself a good hour to play it, because once the stories start flowing, they just don't stop! So we typically choose this as our one and only game…and it's usually all you need.
After teasing it for over a year now, I thought it high time to teach you how to play, so you can enjoy as well! Let's just jump right into it, shall we?
I know introduce…
THE BOWL GAME
Here's what you need to get started…
The objective: For no one to guess which strips of paper are yours, meanwhile, guessing correctly which strips of paper belong to everyone else. Player with the most points at the end of the game, wins.
What you need:
- Paper, cut into strips (enough for every person to get 2)
- Candy for scoring (optional)
How to play:
- Everyone takes two strips of paper and writes an unknown/unique, but TRUE, fact about themselves on each strip of paper (so, 2 facts total). Don't put your name on the strip, and don't tell anyone what you wrote.
- Tip: Get creative! Dig deep! You want to come up with something that even your SPOUSE doesn't know about you! (Think back to kindergarten…college days…weird dating stories…embarrassing moments…)
- When all strips are filled out, fold them up and put them in the bowl (hence the name ;)).
- Pick someone to start the game. They take a strip of paper out of the bowl and read it aloud for everyone. Whoever it belongs to, stays quiet until the end of the round! Put on your poker face and don't admit that it's yours!
- The person to the right of the reader guesses who they think the strip of paper belongs to, simply by calling out their name or pointing. Then the person next to them does the same, continuing around the circle until everyone guesses. The reader guesses last (since they have an advantage, since they can see the handwriting on the paper.)
- Tip: If the paper is yours, obviously don't admit it, and don't guess yourself! Throw the group off by guessing that it's someone else. If you are a spouse and know for a fact that it's your spouse's strip, consider being a team player and casting your vote to someone else to throw off the scent. That's what nice spouses do :).
- After everyone has guessed, the owner of the strip of paper stands up and admits it was them. And of course, you'll need to explain yourself. 🙂
- Figure the scoring for that round: Anyone who guessed correctly gets 1 point. Or, if the correct person wasn't guessed at all, that person get 5 points!
- Tip: Hence the fact that you want to write something crazy that will throw the group off! You don't want people to guess it's you!
- Tip: You can keep score on a board or on paper, or have people keep track of their own score. Alternatively, you can give everyone a small paper cup and keep score with candy. Keep a jar of candy nearby and 1 piece of candy equals 1 point.
- Pass the bowl to the right, and the next person pulls out a new strip of paper and continues the same way.
- Once all rounds have been completed, tally up the scores and whoever has the most points wins!
You can always have a grand prize for the winner, but the laughs and stories really are the grand prize.
*Note, you can really play this at any party, but we have found it to work best at adult/couple parties.
So there you have it!
Quite possibly the best game in the universe. Try it, let me know what you think!