Many of you know I live in Utah. Many of you also know I have four sickness-prone kiddos (they all have horrible ears, noses, and throats). The combination tends to make for a rough winter in the Page household.
Over the years I’ve armed myself with some products, tips, and even tricks to help keep our house as healthy as possible through cold and flu season! CVS asked me to share my favorites as part of their #FindYourHealthy campaign, so here you go!
First up is probably one of my most viral life-hack tips of all times…the easiest way EVER to de-germ your kids’ toys:
Toss ’em in the dishwasher!
This was one of my earliest blog posts and continues to be one of the most popular.
It’s simple, really, take any toys that don’t have batteries, wooden parts, toys with buttons or small parts, etc. and toss them in the dishwasher! I put large toys on the bottom, put small random things in the silverware basket, or even in a mesh bag:
Run a cycle as usual, I even add some natural dish wash, just make sure the heated dry is off so you don’t melt your toys!
Once the toys are de-germed,
Here are my go-to sickness busters for me and the kiddos:
1. HAND SANITIZER! I keep a huge bottle in my kitchen, one in my purse, one in my car, and one in my husband’s truck. Even when my kids say they have washed their hands, we are still all about the sanitizer.
2. GUMMY VITAMINS. Yes, they are basically candy. But do we care? They are vitamins, for Heaven’s sake! My kids not only love them, they beg for them. Truth be told we actually use them to bribe our kids to eat more veggies at dinner. No joke.
3. CHEWABLE PROBIOTICS. Probiotics are friendly bacteria that help with digestive health and bowel function. Without too many TMI’s, let’s just say it really helps when things in the bathroom aren’t quite going as planned.
4. FLUSHABLE WIPES. Continuing from the TMI in aisle 3, flushable wipes are a LIFESAVER with a capital L in the bathroom during sick kid season. They are also handy for snotty noses and wiping up just about any kind of mess.
5. ALL-DAY PAIN RELIEF. Especially when you have aches and chills, Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are a must-have. No reason to be miserable, kick that pain!
6. VITAMIN C. This is Bubba’s personal favorite. He loves chewable Vitamin C; loves the smell, the taste, and he swears it’s a miracle supplement.
7. HUMIDIFIERS + VAPOR. In Utah it’s quite dry in the winter, so I don’t hesitate for one moment running warm air humidifiers almost every night in my kids’ rooms. This truly has been a game-changer for my little mouth breathers. When a cough, stuffy nose, or scratchy throat is coming along for the little guys, I add some vapor to the mix and it’s magic.
8. CHEWABLE MULTI-VITAMINS. I know I’ve hit vitamins quite a bit, but another kind we like are the typical chewable multi-vitamins for us and our kids. When kids don’t feel well they most likely don’t want to eat much, but we can almost always get them to take down a vitamin so we know they are getting at least a little nutrition.
9. COLD & FLU RELIEF FOR KIDS. My little guys get gnarly fevers when they are sick so I have an embarrassing amount of this stuff lying around. I have learned the hard way too many times that you always seem to need it most in the middle of the night when all the stores are closed! It also helps with sneezing, sore throat, and other miserable symptoms.
10. POCKET TISSUES. After too many raw noses because all I could find in my car was a rough drive-through napkin. By keeping those little pocket packs on-hand in my car, purse, nightstand, kitchen drawer, and kids’ rooms, I always have something soft for those sad, boogery noses!
In addition I like to diffuse essential oils, disinfect surfaces with disinfecting wipes and spray, and make sure my kids are getting plenty of sleep.
So there you go!
I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things, but you get the idea. By keeping products like these on-hand you can keep yourself and your family feeling much better this cold and flu season!
What are YOUR tricks for fighting cold and flu season?
Have a great week!