Ok guys, I have to be honest with you. I was a little nervous about our first Finance Date Night. It was not only a spur-the-moment, throw-it-together-in-3-days kind of a thing, but it’s something so different than Bubba or I have ever done before. (*ENTER uncertainty and nerves.) But Bubba and I really wanted to gather an intimate group of couples together and really help them work on the stuff that is hard to do on their own, and even hard to read about and understand online…so we moved forward anyway.
The good news? It was SO. DARN. FUN!!! It really was an amazing night. The feedback we got was so positive (see below to prove it) we have decided to make these a monthly affair! We have our next 2 FDN’s on the schedule – Finance 101 (on September 20), and Finance 909 on (October 18) – read to the bottom to learn what the difference is and how to snag your tickets before they are gone, FYI.
Our first FDN:
We kept our first group small, with just 20 of us. It was a great way to start off the FDN’s since we all got to know each other well! Here we are mingling and ordering our delicious dinner (included in the ticket price, mind you) before presentations started.
Ok, seriously, how gorgeous is Toscana?? I still can’t believe they let us do the event there…
Bubba and I had to work through some technical difficulties at first, but got it figured out. P.S I tried doing my hair in about 5 different ways before I gave up and went back to my good ol’ 5-minute updo that continues to save my life. And yes, that is a necklace bobby-pinned in my hair.
The menu will change every time, but here’s the 3-course dinner from this time around:
Bubba and I had such a great time getting to know the group, hearing why they were there and what they wanted to learn, and forming our presentation around the questions and needs of the group.
Ok, and really, how handsome is my man?? Spoiler alert: Outfit details for both he and I coming very soon! (…and it may just include some exclusive promo codes for y’all ;))
Note to self: Candids are NOT my friend since I’m so expressive when I talk. Need to work on that.
It was definitely a no holds-barred, candid presentation as Bubba and I shared our secrets about EVERYTHING…how much money we make/spend on things, fights we’ve had about money and how we resolved them, and gave away basically every secret in the book.
As mentioned, your ticket includes a 3-course dinner for two as well as all the handouts and info you would need for the night. These are items from the menu we got to select from this time. It takes all forms of self-control to avoid licking my ravioli plate.
We do lots of hands-on exercises so each couple has a clear plan of action to follow once they get home, and we plan to do even MORE things like this for our next FDN’s.
Again, it was really such a fun night. Not only was it a fabulous excuse to get dolled up and eat fancy food, but Bubba and I were blown away with the amazing couples and feel like we made some great friends. We can’t wait to do it again!…
…but don’t take my word for it, check out what our attendees had to say:
(click the photo to see it bigger if needed)
Here’s what we’re doing differently this time:
Even though the feedback was extremely positive, there are definitely some things that would make FDN’s even better! Here’s what we’re changing this time around:
- The feedback we got was that 2 hours wasn’t long enough. So we’re extending it to 3 hours to allow for even more time to make sure we cover everyone’s questions and needs. Because of this extra hour and the overhead cost of the food and location, the pricing has to go up to $59/couple. But it’s only a $4.50 per person increase for a whole extra hour with us so I’m sure you’ll find the slight increase well worth the cost! (or, at least I hope so…)
- Some attendees had the fabulous idea to hand out homework and reading BEFORE the FDN, so everyone is on the same page once arriving. That way we don’t have to back-track and cover things that can be watched or read online; we can dive right in to specific questions, situations, issues, and needs of the couples attending. I thought that was SUCH a great idea! So each couple will get important homework prior to coming, that they need to read together. Then they can come with questions, rather than listening to a presentation that you might have already heard on my blog or at Frugality Boot Camp.
- We will be specifying the focus of each FDN in terms of finance lessons that will be taught. One thing I noticed is that it was tricky to cover everyone’s needs in a room where some people are still in school, have tons of debt, and aren’t taking a paycheck…sitting next to a family that is completely out of debt, has tons in savings, and is looking for advice on retirement and investments. So we are going to pick a theme for each FDN – either “Finance 101” (which covers family finance fundamentals) or “Finance 909″ (which is the next step in family finance – read full descriptions below for more info). This will ensure that you aren’t lost or feeling out of place within the group.
- We are giving much more than 3 days notice before the FDN’s so you have plenty of time to find a sitter, grab some couple friends to come with you (you get $10 refunded back for every couple you bring, by the way!!)
So…How do I sign up for the next FDN?
Well, I’m so glad you asked! As promised, we are planning WAY ahead for the next two. However, tickets sell out remarkably fast (and we have to be very strict about the amount of available seats) so reserve your spot while you can!
FINANCE 101: Sept 18, 6:30 – 9:30
Any and all couples are invited to ANY FDN! But we have learned that by grouping couples together that are in similar financial situations, it is most beneficial for participants. This particular Date Night will cover a wide variety of topics, but will be mainly focused on FINANCE 101. This FDN is perfect for a family who may fit into any of the following categories:
- Is looking to get out of debt,
- Wants to learn how to set and track budgets,
- Is living paycheck to paycheck or feels that money is tight each month,
- Is preparing to move from 2 incomes to one,
- Is wanting to learn how to cut back to get on a good financial track WITHOUT giving up quality of life,
- Wants to build up savings and make wise decisions about money left over at the end of the month,
- Wants to get on the same page as their spouse in terms of managing finances,
- Is preparing for a financial change in their lives,
- Wants to know how to get ahead on a paycheck that just isn’t enough,
- Wants to learn the fundamentals of solid, effortless family finance.
You will get 1-on-1 help and advice from the Pages. Registered attendees decide what topics will be covered, to ensure that the night is 100% about YOU!
FINANCE 202: Oct 18, 6:30 – 9:30pm
Any and all couples are invited to ANY FDN! But we have learned that by grouping couples together that are in similar financial situations, it is most beneficial for participants. This particular Date Night will cover a wide variety of topics, but will be mainly focused on FINANCE 202* (update below). This FDN is perfect for a family who may fit into any of the following categories:
- Is debt-free (may or may not include a mortgage or car loan), or is nearly debt-free
- Has several months to live off of in savings,
- Has a good grasp on basic finance fundamentals for their family,
- Has set and achieved several of their financial goals,
- Receives a consistent paycheck and wants to know how to manage it/stretch it farther,
- Is interested in ideas for investing and retirement,
- Wants to communicate better with their spouse about finances,
- Wants to learn how to spend their money wisely,
- Wants to be frugal, but without giving up quality of life.
*Update: This FDN used to be called Finance 909, but I have changed it to “Finance 202” because there will be a good mix of those who are still in the “figuring it out” stage, and those are in the “next stage” phase. We will be able to incorporate both stages of life into this FDN, so really, it will be perfect for anyone!
Regardless of which FDN you attend, registered attendees decide what topics will be covered, to ensure that the night is 100% about YOU!
Prior to the Date Night, each couple will be emailed important homework and reading to do together as a couple. This will ensure that the 3 hours you get with the Pages won’t be spent covering info that can be read online. It will allow you to get as much one-on-one help and coaching as needed, and will give time for us help you create a solid plan and checklist for what to do once you get home!
We hope you will join us and enjoy a memorable night that you and your spouse are bound to never forget.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Space is limited to ensure one-on-one attention, so register while you can!
CURRENT SPECIAL: For every couple you bring, you get $10 off your ticket price (up to $60 off)! Email email@example.com once your friend has registered and we will refund $10 off your price (through Eventbrite).