I have often used the anology of how diet, weight-loss, and fitness are just like budgeting, frugality, and managing your money. In fact, that’s the ENTIRE premise of my Frugality Boot Camps! (Which, stay tuned…FBC 2014 will be announced soon!! EEEK!)
I started using this analogy because for myself first, but then quickly learned that it works for TONS of other people. Why?
Because typically any talk regarding MONEY, FINANCES, SAVING, blah blah blah is simply:
A) Boring, un-sexy, and just plain HORRIFIC to talk about, and
B) Tends to be complicated and hard to wrap your mind around.
However, we are all-too familiar with diet and weight loss. Whether we are trying to lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight, or simply be aware of our overall health, it is a constant reminder in media and society. It tends to be easy for us to understand and relate too.
Well, guess what? The same way you think of diet, fitness, and weight loss…is the same way you should think about finances, budgeting, and frugality!
Seeing as how I had 10lb of baby weight to lose, I thought losing the 10lb would be pretty simple; that my body would just bounce back to it’s pre-baby weight.
DING. Reality check.
It was HARD WORK! (As most good things in life are.) I started typing up my experience, but thought it would translate better in a video…plus the post was starting to be 50 pages long.
We all know I’m not short on words…
So, there you go! Long and boring video, I know (sorry about that) but I hope it maybe helped at least some of you somewhere think of your fitness and finances a little differently.
I didn’t achieve my goal of 10lb, but I lost 8.6 which was pretty darn close. Honestly, if I didn’t have a family crisis arise I might have lost the last 1.4…but really, there will always be an excuse.
Here’s how I lost weight:
- Exercised as often as I could, at least 4x per week, usually at night before bed.
- Didn’t eat late. I cut myself off at 7 or 8 (depending on the day) and wouldn’t let anything touch my mouth after that!
- Ate treats and sugar sparingly. I allowed myself some once in a while, but if I ate a treat, I had to make up for it in my calories elsewhere and had to work out really hard that night.
- Drank lots and lots and lots of water.
- I got a great support system on-board to help me stay strong, and even started a family contest with money involved so I was extra incentivized!
- I shared my weight publicly so you all could help me be accountable 🙂
I heard about a really fun 5K here in Utah called the Invasion Run. It looks SO FUN! It’s a 5K that’s through a CORN MAZE. Fun for the family, and fun for the Halloween season for sure. It’s on Friday September 6th here in Utah. If you use the promo code FCFINVADE you get $5 your entry fee. Check them out on Facebook too.
So there you have it 🙂