4. It’s hearty. So hearty, in fact, that no meat is needed! My carnivore-of-a-husband was skeptical at first, but is now a believer…no meat needed for this one!
- 1pound whole milk cottage cheese or 1 percent cottage cheese (see note)
- 2large eggs , lightly beaten
- 3ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Table salt
- 1pound ziti or other short, tubular pasta
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 5 teaspoons)
- 1(28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1(14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1teaspoon sugar
- Ground black pepper
- 3/4teaspoon cornstarch
- 1cup heavy cream (see note)
- 8ounces low-moisture whole-milk mozzarella cheese , cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups) (see note)
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk cottage cheese, eggs, and 1 cup Parmesan together in medium bowl; set aside.Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta begins to soften but is not yet cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain pasta and leave in colander (do not wash Dutch oven).
I didn’t have enough Ziti to double the recipe so I used Penne instead. Worked just fine!2. Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until garlic is fragrant but not brown, about 2 minutes.This baby is my best friend…it’s so easy!Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and oregano; simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in ½ cup basil and sugar, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir cornstarch into heavy cream in small bowl; transfer mixture to now-empty Dutch oven set over medium heat.
Bring to simmer and cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce, and ¾ cup mozzarella, then stir to combine.Add pasta and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
4. Transfer pasta mixture to 13- by 9-inch baking dish……and spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over pasta. Sprinkle remaining ¾ cup mozzarella and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over top.Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Remove foil and continue to cook until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes longer. Cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and serve.
So good, pretty easy, you’ll love it! Serve with french bread and a nice salad and you’re set!