Flying can be a blessing, or a curse. With all the hidden, little, and annoying fees that are all-too standard, it can really drain your hard earned money. If you fly smarter you can really save yourself money and afford to fly more!
Cheapest time to fly:
- Fly on a Wednesday when you can. Why? Studies have shown it's the cheapest day to fly!
- If you can't fly on a Wednesday, Tuesdays and Saturdays are the next best days.
- Avoid Fridays and Sundays – those are the most expensive days to fly.
- The best time to shop for and buy airline tickets is on Tuesdays at 3:00EST.
- Most sales that are put up on Tuesdaysare taken down by Thursday, so if you are buying airline tickets over the weekend then you're probably paying too much.
- If there is more than one person flying in your party, buy each ticket separately. Airlines are required to sell everyone in your party the same price on tickets, so if you split them up you could possibly find cheaper fares. Average out the cost throughout your party if needed.
- Be flexible with dates. Check at least one day before or after your preferred arrival/departure date and you could save major bucks!
- Check multiple airlines. The one you usually fly on may not have the best deal. You can even use a site like Priceline.com to compare all airlines for you, or you can bid for a price.
- Sign up for airlines' email lists. You'll be notified of special sales.
- I love flying Southwest because they don't charge for bags! Be sure to download DING. It pops up on your computer and notifies you of crazy amazing deals. I just got a ticket from Salt Lake to Portland for $66! Plus, they don't charge you a fee to cancel or change your flight which has really come in handy for us.
- Try to travel during the off-seasons: February, September/October, andbeginning of December are great times of year to get killer deals.
- Check out this post and TV segment I did about how to afford exotic travel, including how to use airfarewatchdog.com which is an AMAZING site for finding good flight deals!